It is very common to overlook the health of our gastrointestinal tract. It supports our immune system, metabolism and detoxification. Did you know that almost all diseases derive from the Gut? Gut health is very important. A lot of the things we do on a daily basis can cause an imbalance in our gut bacteria which causes us to have certain health issues. Even diseases you would not think are directly linked like Depression, Arthritis, Asthma. And of course those directly linked like Crohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis, and Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
What Are The Signs & Symptoms of an Unhealthy Gut:
High Sugar Diet
Here are tips to improve your gut health:
- Stress Less: According to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) when we worry or stress it is directly linked to our stomach and that’s why sometimes we have to go #2 in high stress situations.
- Check for food intolerances: Notice what causes your symptoms. Start a food log if needed. Check for issues with lactose, gluten, soy, or spicy foods.
- Stay hydrated: Your intestines are like a hose and if you’re not drinking enough water, stool will take a lot longer to pass on it’s own.
- Change your diet: Stay clear of processed foods with high sugar and high fats. Start a more plant based diet which includes more fiber. Have smaller potions in your meals and take your time chewing your food.
- Sleep: Try to sleep for at least 7-8 hours. Sleep on your left side if possible. According to Tradition Chinese Medicine it helps for our bowel to rest as we sleep. Our pyloric valve is on the right side and will continue to emit digestive products into our small intestine.
- PREbiotics: It is food based. They don’t actually have bacteria in them. It is the “fertilizer” that helps the good bacteria grow. The ingredients are acacia fiber, Jerusalem artichoke and green banana fiber. It is best to drink this in the morning allowing the prebiotic to spread throughout the day. It does not taste great so I mix a scoop of prebiotic with a glass of orange juice.
- PRObiotics: This has the actual bacteria strands of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. You want to get these products in it’s most natural form like yogurt or Kombucha tea which is my personal favorite. If you do not like either, there are probiotic supplements that work just fine. It is best to take this at night while you don’t have any food so it can spread through you GI tract uninterrupted. You want to make sure the brand that you buy has less than 8 grams of sugar per serving.